<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://geneageek.uk/blog

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Geneageek: Dumfries - Sheep Worrying

Monday 27 July 2009

Dumfries - Sheep Worrying

I have been searching The Scotsman digital archive this morning (searches are free) and found a tantalising snippet relating to my family history - or does it?
The Scotsman - 6 Nov 1879 - "DUMFRIES - SHEEP WORRYING. - On Monday, at Woodhead, Dunscore, a dog chased a flock of 92 sheep out of a field and... One was killed"


Woodhead 2006

My farming ancestors lived at Woodhead, Dunscore since at least 1824 when my great grandfather, James Brown, was recorded in the Crown Office Precognitions as a farm labourer there in 1824 (He had been accused of assault but that's a different story). From the 1841 census onwards, James is recorded as Farmer at that property until 1871. Woodhead played a significant part in my family's life until James died at Woodhead in 1873. This newspaper snippet was from 1879.

James Brown's death - 1873 (shows Woodhead as place of death)

As fabulous a resource the Scotsman archives are, I can't really afford to jump in 'willy-nilly', so I need to check if any of my family is still tied to the property in 1879.
James' third wife, Sarah (nee Douglas) survived him and the 1871 census shows more Brown's living on the property (ie., Woodhead Cottage, Woodhead Farm). This means that the easiest first step is to check the 1881 census to see if these Brown's are still at Woodhead. If so, then the article will at least be referring to my extended ancestral family.

Browns at Woodhead in 1871
A search of the 1881 census shows that his widow, Sarah and son, Samuel are also still at Woodhead in 1881. Another search shows that the William Brown who was living at Woodhead in the 1871 census, is still there in 1881. I'm unsure of the exact family relationship between my James Brown and this William but chances are high at least that the newspaper article will be referring in some way to the property part of my family owned at the time. This does not mean they will refer to my ancestors by name however, and as I'm a thrifty genealogist, I'm going to see if there are any other articles to do with my family before I invest.
I'm in luck though, as the Scotsman Digital Archives are having a special offer to celebrate Homecoming Scotland 2009 and prices currently start at Ā£3.95 for a 24 hour pass (July only).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirsty F Wilkinson said...

The Central library in Edinburgh has a subscription to the Scotsman Digital Archive and I always go there to access it for free if I think I've spotted something of interest. It might be worth checking if a library in your area also has a subscription.

2 August 2009 at 10:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home