<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://geneageek.uk/blog

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Geneageek: Arthur and Martha... I mean, Mary

Tuesday 26 October 2010

Arthur and Martha... I mean, Mary

I mentioned in my previous post that I'd like to know more about Arthur BUCHAN's next marriage as their children are mentioned in Roy Buchan's book 'From Peterhead to Passchendaele'.  He had married his first wife, Christian BUCHAN in 1857 who had died by the 1861 census.


Marriage of Arthur BUCHAN and Christian BUCHAN 1857

I located Arthur and his sons on the 1871 census who were now living with Arthur's new wife, Mary and their new half siblings - Andrew, Mary and Elspet. 
Arthur & sons with new family on 1871 census

A search of the IGI located a marriage between Arthur and Mary BRUCE in 1864 which I then downloaded.  Strangely, Mary's parents are not listed.


Marriage of Arthur BUCHAN and Mary BRUCE 1864

A further search of the IGI uncovered the births of their children, Isabella and Peter.  This Peter is 'Uncle Peter' who Roy refers to as "a shadowy figure who followed the family to New Zealand, arriving in about 1910". Auntie Isa was also mentioned in letters written by Roy's father and uncles during World War I. "a rotter who deserted his wife and children" (Buchan, R., From Peterhead to Passchendaele, 2003, p145).

I would say there's a whole new story there.


Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, so I’ve awarded you the Ancestor Approved badge.

Please visit: http://lazyloversancestry.blogspot.com/2010/12/ancestor-approved.html to get it.

4 December 2010 at 16:31  
Blogger Fi said...

Great blog. I've just awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Have a look - http://intheshadeofmyfamilytree.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog.html

13 March 2011 at 17:31  
Blogger GeneaGeek said...

Thanks for the awards!
I've been a bit out of the scene the last few months. I've got a couple of post ideas but just need the time to right them up. :)

14 March 2011 at 16:40  
Blogger GeneaGeek said...

Wow - thanks again. I plan to finally accept these awards properly this weekend.

24 March 2011 at 19:27  
Blogger Ginger Smith said...

Hey GeneaGeek, I also awarded your blog the Ancestor Approved Award! Congrats and keep up the good work! (You can click here to claim it: Ginger's Genealogy Blog)

13 April 2011 at 22:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home